8.1 Actions which are not allowed
• Altering the ground surface
• Moving the ball
• Picking the ball up from the ground
8.2 Actions which are allowed
• Turning the ball without moving it
• Removing loose objects (branches, stones, obstacles, etc.)
• If a ball is covered in a lot of sand it may be picked up and cleaned after marking the spot in order to return it to the same place afterwards. This action is only allowed when the distance from this point to the nearest ball is the same as or greater than the size of a putter head.
Penalty for lifting or displacing a ball
If the ball becomes displaced, or is lifted from its original position, without permission from the opponent, the penalty applied is to miss a turn.